Saturday, January 20, 2018

Some Auckland Sunshine and Art


This is a good time to be out of the United States, I'm thinking.  I hear the news, of course, but when I abroad it's less intrusive. And speaking of news--Congratulations to New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who just announced and she and her partner are expecting their first child.   She is setting a fine example for other women by taking her full maternity leave when the time comes.  Her Deputy Prime Minister will take the reins.
One of my chores this morning was to book my tour for Hobbiton, one of the most popular sites in New Zealand.  I won't be going for about a week, but I am so glad I booked ahead.  Even so the most convenient tours were booked solid, so I have to do it the hard way.  You can book on line at their site.  Do it before you leave home is my advice.
So here it is a warm and sunny Sunday just right for a low key day.  I took a stroll around down by the waterfront.  Unmistakable signs of Saturday nights revelry appeared.   There was an unusual amount of litter, and I spotted numerous beer bottles.  Corona seems to be popular.  Auckland has its share of homeless men who sack out in doorways or benches.  They panhandle when they are awake. The country has a strong social support system, so I assume these guys are drunks not looking to dry out but for booze money instead.
Let us turn from this unpleasant scene to something more refined.  I visited Auckland's Gallery of Art.  It's in a handsome building, which is a mixture of Nineteenth Century and Late Twentieth Century architecture.  Admission is free but I shelled out for a special exhibition.
The Corsini Family of Florence were pals of the Medici and contributed cardinals and even a pope to the Roman Catholic Church.  The family is still around and prominent in Italian society and lent part of their art collection to the City of Auckland in gratitude for New Zealand's help in defeating the Axis in World War II.
As with most collections it was a mixed bag, but I did see a fine Tintoretto that was new to me as well as a Caravaggio.  The Pontormo Virgin and Child with John the Baptist featured children that looked like someone had served them unusually strong expresso.
The Corsini Family also boasts a saint, and a portrait of St. Andrea Corsini was displayed.  But there was something odd about it.  I stared and stared.  I read the caption but was not enlightened.  Finally I asked the people standing next to me, "Is that a bullet hole?"  They had the scoop.  Yes, and not just one but two bullet holes.  The retreating Nazis looted art as they fled, and one of the Corsini women concealed valuable art works behind a door and left St. Andrea to guard them.  The soldiers shot the painting but did not seek further.
There are some interesting works in the rest of the gallery.  They have a Monet and a Picasso for instance as well as a solid collection of contemporary works by Southern Hemisphere artists.  One thing I found fascinating was the series of Maori portraits done by a British New Zealander.  They are remarkably evocative of both dignity and loss, and clearly the artist had a lot of empathy with his subjects.
But I know what you are Really Here For.
Butter, Pil.  You said you got BUTTER!
New Zealand farmers feed their sheep and cattle on grass, not grain, so the cheese, butter, and meat you can get is tastier and better for you.  Why the butter is practically health food--at least that's my story.
Stop rationalizing.  How was it?
Lovely!  I got some fancy brand that was lightly salted, and I got some crackers to put it on.  This is Good Butter, folks.  It may not be as transcendent as the raw milk butter I had in France, but it comes close.  Yet another reason to visit New Zealand!

2 comments:

  1. Kids on espresso, heh!

    Sounds like a great visit, and yum on the butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very pleasant day--with butter for dessert!

    ReplyDelete