Friday, January 26, 2018

Glorious Hamilton Gardens


I'd been anticipating Hobbiton even before I started seriously planning the trip.  That's one kind of pleasure--the long awaited one.  Hamilton Gardens was another kind of pleasure--the unexpected marvelous experience that takes one by surprise.
There was a thunderstorm last night that did nothing to decrease the heat and humidity, so I knew I needed green, shade, and if possible flowing water or fountains.
I don't know why these gardens are not more famous.  They are a fifteen minute bus ride from the station.  I expected to be dropped off at the gates, but the bus stop is near the information center.  There's also a path beside the river that you could take to the gardens from the town center.  If it had been cooler I would have walked back.
First I explored the "Gardens of Paradise."  Oh My Goodness!  These are recreations of various styles of gardens from different cultures, and each is exquisite.  I saw the Nineteenth Century Romantic Garden, which was very pretty, but I'd seen such things before.  The same with the Italian Renaissance Garden, but the recreation of the villa and grotto was highly impressive. The Mughal Garden glowed with brilliantly colored flowers, and there was a fountain.  I adored the Chinese Scholar's Garden from the Sung Dynasty with its trees, pond, and small temple-like pavilion.  The Japanese Zen Garden invited rest and contemplation.  One side was combed sand, boulders and sparse plants.  The other a duck pond surrounded by beautiful plants.
That was just the beginning.  The herb garden was fragrant, and there are two vegetable gardens--one farm-like and the other a model for a productive and sustainable backyard.  One of the most fascinating was a recreation of a Maori garden.  Part of it was cultivated plants and part wild plants they gathered.  I won't list all the specialized gardens I saw, but they were all fun, and more are opening all the time.
I am going to pause here to have a refreshing sip of some Australian Rose since I've already had my water.  Ahhh.
Now where were we?  From these gardens I strolled through the Camellia Lawn and into the Rose Garden, which is extensive and has a lovely scent.  While I was walking though some of it, I thought, "This reminds me of Malmaison."  And indeed I came upon a sign explaining that that part of the garden was modeled on the Empress Josephine's.
One of the things I enjoyed most was the Valley Walk through native woodland.  So lush and beautiful, and the textures and varied shades of green lent it magnificence.  Those giant ferns are positively primordial.
So if you are in the neighborhood, don't miss Hamilton Gardens.  Entrance is free, and the cafe will feed you if need sustenance.
After I returned to town I did some errands.  I found a post box for my cards, and I have my ticket to Wellington.  Tomorrow I am facing a hideously long bus ride.

1 comment:

  1. I was really wishing for your presence in the Chinese Scholar's Garden. It reminded me of something we both like.

    ReplyDelete