Tuesday, July 5, 2011

High Times in the Low Countries


I took part in the following conversation more times than I can remember.
Hey, Pil, where are you going this summer?
Amsterdam!
Ooooh, Pil. [followed by suggestive laughter] So how about those "coffee shops"  and the Red Light District?  Eh?  Eh?
So let's clear these two issues out of the way now.  A couple years ago I wanted to go to Amsterdam, but the guide books all seemed to assume anyone who so wanted was a drug tourist.  I was so put off, I went to Vienna instead.  Drugs are NOT legal in the Netherlands, which is part of the European Union, and a recent law prohibits sale of cannabis to non Dutch citizens even in licensed coffee shops.  Drug seeking foreigners crossed the borders, got high, forgot they were guests in another country, and made destructive nuisances of themselves.  Organized crime is taking an interest in trade.  Proprietors of coffee shops in Amsterdam hope to overturn the law or at least have Amsterdam made an exception.  The Dutch aren't interested in drugs.  They make their money off stoned foreigners.
But in a city that offers Rembrandt and Gouda, why would anyone bother with hashish?
As for the Red Light District--the first time I visited Amsterdam I went.  We took a tour one night under the guidance of a Dutchman, and I think people should go if only to eradicate any idea that the sex trade is glamorous.  It's a joyless place full of furtive customers most of whom are British.  The sex workers are immigrants and despite the regulations, etc., I think they are exploited.
Nevertheless the Red Light District is one of the oldest parts of the city, and there are some notable sights to be found there, so I will return--early one morning when business is not on.
Why do you call Holland the Low Countries?
I am merely translating Nederlands into English, and Nederlands or Netherlands is the name of the country.  Holland is one state in the country.  "Low" in this case refers to elevation or rather lack of it.  A fair portion of the nation is below sea level and one fifth of the country's area has been created by humans draining the North Sea, a process that is still going on.  Those windmills and dykes?  Not just for show.  This is a country that takes global warming and the consequent rise in sea level personally.
So even though there will be no drugs or prostitution, I hope you will share my trip with me.  I will sample substances.  Stay tuned for tastings of Dutch beer.  I'm also trying to psych myself up to try the raw herring.
Dag!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it! I was there in 1972, and I managed not to see the drug stuff or the prostitutes (though I did tour the Red Light district in Hamburg, and yep, like you said); what I noticed were the canals, the wonderful buildings, among whom were many famous ones. I look forward to seeing it through your eyes.

    Sherwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I was there, too. It will be a whole new city for me. Glad to have you along!

    ReplyDelete