Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gezelligheid





Goededag!
I fell asleep last night to the sound of rain pounding my windows and woke up to the same.  Time to experience a bit of Dutch gezelligheid or cozy homeyness as I had my breakfast, but I couldn’t just spend my day drinking tea.  I had to go out into the storm.
But first because I am in an apartment I have morning chores like dishes and sweeping up the crumbs from breakfast.  I took the trash out this morning as well.
Then I tried out the grocery store I discovered yesterday.  Nah.  It’s not going to do it for me.  I did get some basics like water and cracker, but if I want more to eat then I’m going to have to hike or get take out.
So it was really cold all day, and it rained the whole time.  But one has to expect that.  I have been very lucky with the weather my last few trips, so it’s my turn for a few days of cold and wet.
I thought I had a good plan.  I found the nearest tram stop and hopped the right tram touching my card.  The trams are quiet and smooth—very pleasant, but I had to guess when to get off and naturally I guessed wrong.  I overshot my target.  I knew the museum I wanted was near the zoo, so I followed the signs to the zoo and eventually got to my destination (soaked) after walking in a big circle.
The Tropical Museum of Amsterdam might seem like an odd place to visit.  I picked it because I needed a rainy day activity, it was on the Museum Karte, and the description sounded interesting.  I am glad I went.  It’s a marvelous place although I have to say a bit out of the way.  Tropical Museum is a bit of a misnomer, but the place presents the culture of some Non-Western societies with respect and style.  You can pop into shops, sit in a yurt, go into houses, walk through market places accompanied by the music of the culture.  Not only fabric and crafts, but some truly wonderful art is on display.  Don’t miss the ancestor statues from the Natives of South America, China, and West Africa!  I had a great time.
My next target was the Rembrandt House, but I didn’t make it.  I was off map and without a canal to guide me I got well and truly lost.  I walked through some pleasant Amsterdam neighborhoods, which I would have enjoyed had it not been cold and rainy.  I stopped frequently to consult the map.  But I had no idea where I was.  Now the truth is I was feeling a bit stubborn.  I had my magic transportation card and could have hopped a bus or a tram, but I kept walking—and walking—and walking--and seemed to get no nearer to my goal.
Finding myself unexpectedly close to home, I changed tactics.  The Van Loon Museum was about half a kilometer away and on a canal.  I was pretty sure I could find it.  The museum occupies a lovely eighteenth century canal house and has a bit of a Rococo flavor with those molded ceilings I like and another pretty room overlooking the back garden.  The furniture and some of the personal belongings of the family matriarch are on displays.  She Really Liked Shoes.  She was also chums with Queen Wilhelmina and unfortunately with some of the German occupiers during the war as well, so her high society days came to an end.
It was still cold and drizzly when I emerged onto the street.  By this time I was hungry and worn out from fighting the wind.  I decided I needed a hot dinner and needed it fast, so I went to a vegetarian falafel chain and ordered falafel and frites (with catsup this time because I was heavy on the sat fat yesterday) to go.  As the rain pattered on my windows I washed it down with some Belgian Lentebock.  I have no idea what this is, but it was mighty lekker.  Just be warned Belgian beer tends to be strong, and some of it is Really Strong.  This one was medium.
Really hit the old spot.  Sigh.  Gezelligheid and the Tour de France to boot.
Dag!

2 comments:

  1. Perking up about the belgian beer . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hic. Whadya say? Seriously it's very rich to go along with the strong. One would not drink much at one setting and it goes well with food.

    ReplyDelete