Saturday, April 22, 2023

A Great Day Out

 Buon Giorno,

This is more like it.  I had a pretty heavy-duty tourist day, but first--a Very Special Apero.  One of Piedmont's famed culinary treasures is the white truffle.  Now truffle season is in October, and I probably couldn't afford them fresh even if I attended. One can buy them canned or jarred, but experts say these are an inferior product.  In the tourist zone across from the castle I found a truffle shop selling truffle flavored potato chips.  I was not capable of resistance.  Yes, a small bag was expensive, but I came home hungry and boy are they good--for those of us who like truffles. Not everyone does, but this is ok because it means more for me.

It was a bit chilly when I set out, but a brilliantly sunny morning.  It's begun to cloud over in the afternoon with more rain in the forecast for tomorrow.  For people who like to follow on google earth.  I begin in Piazza Vittorio Veneto. I made my way down Via Po to the Piazza Castillo.  I found the Tourist Information office and obtained my Torino+Piemonte Card.  I got the five day version and broke it in today.  I strolled down Via Academia di Scienze to Piazza Carlo Alberto where I found the Palazzo Carignano, which I particularly wanted to see as it was one of the buildings I taught in Art History.  One finds the Baroque mostly in churches, but when one finds a secular building in that style it's a must see.  I visited the Museum of the Risorgimento.  It is dedicated to the growth of Italian Nationalism (They are still working on it.) and the struggle to unify the peninsula under one government while kicking the foreigners out.  This was an issue dating back to Machiavelli.  The building is magnificent and ornate, and some of the rooms have the original ceiling frescos and decoration, but you'd have to be a real history buff and pretty much know what was going on and who was who to get anything out of the exhibits.  I especially enjoyed the portraits and bits of royal regalia on offer.  The Palazzo also features something called Apartemente des Princes, which I'd like to visit, but one must reserve a spot on a guided tour.  Just as an aside--I used the toilet in the museum and there was no toilet paper.  This is why I ALWAYS carry a small packet of tissue, a practice every traveler should adopt.

Then I went back to the Piazza Castillo, because the castle holds the Palazzo Madama, which is the civic museum of ancient art.  The museum is huge and comprehensive starting with the Roman foundation of Augusta Taurirum and going on through the Baroque, and boy are the exhibits rich. Lots of paintings are on offer.  I have a taste for Late Medieval Art which was satisfied with paintings, polychrome wooden sculptures and plenty of stone work.  The Renaissance and Baroque are also well represented, and an abundance of decorative art will tempt you to feast your eyes.  I finished my visit--well worn out by this time--with a walk though the Medieval Garden of the Princes, all green and fragrant.  After my exertions this was restful.  I did not see any birds, but boy could I hear them.

Then back down Via Po licking windows all the way and home.

Ciao for now

No comments:

Post a Comment