Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Hong Kong Part II--Credit Card Unleashed!





Greetings from the Northern Hemisphere!  I never felt different south of the equator, and all I feel now is jet lag.  I'm still over the International Date Line, but soon I'll board a plane and go back to yesterday.  Now that will feel odd.
My departure from Auckland went smoothly, and now my time in New Zealand feels like a dream.  I certainly felt the Kia Ora, which is a Maori phrase for welcome and best wishes.  I knew where I could get the Sky Bus, and it was down hill, too, so that was good.  I found the bus about to leave, but I jumped around a bit and the driver let me on, and then other people showed up, too.  On the way I got to see parts of the city I hadn't before, and we also passed my old pal Mount Eden.
I put my new sweater in my carry on bag and was glad to have it as it got chilly in the airport.  Usually I am cold on planes, but this time it was so warm I had to take the sweater off for a bit.  I thought it was just a merino wool sweater--but no!  It's a blend. Twenty percent is possum fur.  How does that work?  And then Ten percent is silk.  The rest is wool.  It was a good buy even though an expensive one.  The fabric is soft, and although it keeps me warm, it feels light on.  And I am glad to have it here in Hong Kong because it's the middle of the night and the airport is cold.
So here I am in Hong Kong after a long flight. I had a pleasant seat mate, and I even got in a brief nap. I have a short layover, but I decided to take advantage of the time here.  First I freshened up a bit.  Then I set out to shop. On my first go through I throughly scouted the shops, and I found something I wanted very much but was unwilling to carry around New Zealand--tea! or as we Chinese say cha.
I found my departure gate, and then began to look for the shop with the beautifully packaged Dragon Well and Oolongs.  Eh?  Where was it?  I walked here, and I walked there, but not a sign of tea did I find.  There are all sorts of other goods on offer from high-end luxury goods to rather tatty souvenirs.  I wanted none of them. Where was my tea?
After two false starts I had an inspiration. On my last visit I passed an Emporio Armani and gave a smile to the posters with handsome Hu Ge, who is one of their spokesbeings. (You can google Hu Ge if you don't know who he is.)  Anyway, I seemed to remember the Tea Zone was in his vicinity.  I was right!
I stuffed my checked luggage so as to leave plenty of room for these acquisitions.  I look forward to drinking many happy cups.  Speaking of tea cups. Right next to my boarding gate is an exhibition of tea pots, cups, and other tea accoutrements made by Hong Kong Potters mostly in the Twentieth Century.  Very cool.  I liked the fish one especially.
I just had my pre boarding interview.  The United States has initiated a new security rule that all passengers for the U.S. must be interviewed before getting on the plane.  In my case with my U.S. Passport and harmless looks, it was very short and routine.  I don't know if this means passengers from anywhere abroad or just certain locations.  Interesting.
Thanks to the many of you who followed my journey.  I'll try to get pictures up soon, and I predict that the beauty of the country will inspire you to want to visit New Zealand.
[update--that security was really serious. They searched our carry on bags before we could board the plane.  Have to admit the search of my bags was pretty cursory.]

4 comments: