Sunday, February 4, 2018

Shopping in Auckland


The clouds have turned gray and threatening, but I am snug in my room with the day's chores done.  Because of the uncertain weather today and the better forecast tomorrow, I decided to stay in town and do my shopping.
I began with a visit to the grocery store to replenish my supplies.  I no longer have a kitchenette, but I do have a fridge and the means to heat water for my morning tea.
I am staying on Queen Street which is at the heart of Auckland's commercial business district, and it's a short stroll to the waterfront and a lot of other places.  The shopping here is nice, and most stores carry the exact same merchandise.  If you want junk you can find it--just not in great abundance.  Most of the offerings are worthwhile.  You just need to decide what you want.
Well one of the things I wanted but did not get is Maori Art.  Some of this is clearly mass produced, but there are also genuine works--priced accordingly, but I had to consider my home and my suitcases.  I looked and lusted, but passed.
On the other hand I did find plenty to spend my money on.  Ahem. Most of this money was spent on myself.  I bought a sweater made of New Zealand Moreno wool.  I'd spotted it in a very classy shop down by the waterfront, but I didn't want to cart it around, so I got it now.  The wool is soft and warm and yet very light feeling. It's just hard to convince sales folk that I am indeed extra small (and this is no advantage!) even though I give the impression of being larger, but I have a small rib cage.  I also bought some presents, but I will also be at the airport and duty free in a day or so, and I am returning via Hong Kong, which also gives the opportunity for buying myself gifts.  It's one of the perks of travel.  You want exotic items?  Go get them!

2 comments:

  1. I hope someday we'll have the weather for you to wear that sweater! So far, it's summer here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll wear it on the cold plane and in the colder Hong Kong Airport.

    ReplyDelete