Monday, February 5, 2018

Climbing (sort of) Mount Victoria


Updating--I just learned that today is a national holiday for my host country--New Zealand day to commemorate the founding of this wonderful country.  I noticed that the central commercial district was a bit empty this morning.  Now I know why.  My friends the Kiwis are celebrating.  Congratulations!
This is my last full day in New Zealand--for now.  I'd like to come back sometime and inflict myself on the South Island.
Once again the sky has turned threatening in the late afternoon, but this morning dawned clear and bright. Thought I, "Hmm. You climbed Mount Eden without problems. What about Mount Victoria?  Because when I went to Devonport on my first go around here, I wimped out.  But what if my travels made me fitter?  Eh?
Too optimistic, Pil?
Not in the least.  After doing some errands, I took the ferry back to Devonport.  Now by this time it had turned hot and humid, so that was not conducive to climbing.  Neither was my need for a toilet, which sent me back down in (a successful--I LOVE New Zealand) search of one.
Ok.  Personal needs taken care of, I remounted the hill.  Mount Victoria is another one of those extinct volcanos.  It rises steeply from the port and is also covered in lush vegetation.  The Maori called it  Takarunga, and the mountain was sacred to them.
Most people drive up, and as far as I can tell the summit consists of a car park also accommodating tour buses.
I did not make it that far, I confess.  I did have a nice walk because I needed to stretch my elderly legs before boarding the plane tomorrow.  I had nice views of Auckland's skyline, but I turned my gaze to the other side of the bay.  Lovely!
But the path was rough.  I knew I could make it up, but I felt nervous about coming down.  I turned back short of the summit and carefully descended.  I stood aside for some people coming up, and they thanked me profusely.  New Zealanders.  Really Nice Folks.
This is an incredibly beautiful and welcoming country.  I was anxious about coming here, but now I have to laugh at my nervousness.  It was easy to get around, and I more or less speak the language.  Indeed some people don't hear my accent, and those who do go out of their way to be helpful and kind.
So come here and enjoy it.  And it you are a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Movie fan--well then all the better.
The next time I talk to you, I'll be back in the Northern Hemisphere, but still on the far side of the International Date Line.

2 comments:

  1. It was. Thanks for participating, and I'll talk you again in Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete