Sunday, July 26, 2015

Plan B and Plan B Two Point O



Bon jour, mes amis,
Today is the last stage of the Tour de France, and the riders are coming home in the rain.  The "sacred cobbles" of the Champs Elysees are bad enough when dry.  But the winner has been decided and indeed was decided about two weeks ago.  Congratulations to Chris Froome and all, but it was not a thrilling race.
So the plan today was to go to Dijon in Burgundy, which is quite a ways, but just doable as a day trip.  It didn't happen.  I went to the Gare de Lyon in good time, took my number, waited, and arrived at the ticket desk only to find that the train was full in second class, and if I wanted to go to Dijon, I'd have to buy first class tickets.  Uh oh.  But furthermore--no way.  I was bummed, not just because Dijon is a charming town, but because there was something there previously not on exhibit that I really wanted to see.  Oh well.  Next time.
But there I was with my day's plan shattered.  It does happen in travel, so I needed to figure out what to do.  Rather on impulse I decided to go out to see St. Germain-en-Laye.  After all the Gare de Lyon was an RER station, and St. Germain was on RER line A.  I obtained my ticket at one of the machines and proceeded to the platform.  When I realized.  Whoops.  The RER was closed for a good part of its route in town.  The train from this station would just take me a few stops.
But flexibility is the traveler's friend.  I took the metro line one out to La Defense where I picked up the RER again and had a smooth trip out to St. Germain.  There's a handsome chateau there now holding the National Archeology Museum.  I happen to enjoy such things.
Relics from the Neanderthal period and on up are on display.  I especially enjoyed the paleolithic carvings.  Some of the "Venus" figurines were the size of my little finger and yet beautifully carved. The animal statues were also marvelous.  The collection holds a wealth of Celtic ceramics and jewelry as well as swords and tools from everyday life.  The Gallo-Roman displays are especially rich and fascinating.
And when I finished with the museum--well there was the park.  I'd barely scratched the surface on the previous visit, but this time I could do it right.  While there are a few formal parts, most is what the French call garden Anglaise, in other words natural, yet well contrived, plantings of trees and flowers and lots of paths straight and curved and intersecting.  It had begun to rain by then, but I had my umbrella, and the rain fell lightly.  The air freshened and that wonderful planty smell came out.  Everything was so pretty!  I loved the rich and various greens of the trees and the brightness of the flower blossoms.
So even though it was not planned and was a mere plan B, St. Germain was still a satisfying day out.
A demain.
Update:  I am unhappy now.  Usually Citadines is very professional, but today!  I came home to find my room not done.  I asked when it would be done and was told at 4pm--not the fault of the front desk folk who were helpful, but I waited until 5:30. and it was not done so I figured it would not be today and settled in.  So at 6:30 when I was finishing dinner the bell rang for service.  Six-thirty.  Grrr.  I got dressed and went to read in the lobby  Here I am back in my room at 7:15.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the wonderful smell of a garden in the rain! It sounds like an excellent Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out just fine--except for housekeeping which I updated after you read because I had to be out of my room.

    ReplyDelete