Monday, July 6, 2015

Louis and Frank: An Artistic Collaboration


Bonjour mes amis!
A crazy guy is singing and dancing the same phrase over and over just below my apartment window. I don't think he's even panhandling.  He might just like the acoustics where Citadines meets the shopping mall.  This appears to be my day for unwanted entertainment.
What an interesting time to be in the European Union with the Greek Crisis and the economic feebleness of Spain, Portugal, and Italy.  I am rooting for the EU, so I hope it works out--with or without Greece.
It was very warm today, but not awful.  I went out early and explored my neighborhood bit. Just up the street is the Butte de Cailles or Quail Hill, not a tourist attraction but a pleasant place to walk around, but I did in fact have more touristic fish to fry.
But first came a long metro ride plagued by the presence of one of those musicians that "entertain" their captives on the metro and then ask for money.  And it must pay, otherwise they wouldn't do it. The guy in my car favored us with four songs, and people did give him change.  The performers carry their own sound systems, so they are loud.  Some of them are competent players and singers.  Others should not have quit their day jobs.
After changing metro lines from the rattletrap Line 6 to the sleek Line 1 I fetched up at the Bois de Boulogne home to the new Foundation Louis Vuitton. They had to locate it there for reasons of space. The Foundation's distinguished collection of Twentieth Century Art is housed in a building by Frank Gehry.  Yes.  It's one of THOSE buildings, and I found it utterly fascinating and in itself worth the price of admission.  The Foundation has become justly popular, and when I arrived just before opening a long line to get in had already formed.  I must say that Louis Vuitton's folk run a class act. The attractive young employees passed out umbrellas so people could protect themselves from the sun, and a well-dressed young man came around with a bin full of cold water bottles, so we could be refreshed.  I guess dealing in high end luxury goods forms habits of graciousness.
The core of the exhibit is Louis Vuitton's own collection, and like any museum not all of the works are gems.  Among the things I enjoyed most were some music/video pieces.  I also--and I am still trying to understand this--find the works of Malevitch very compelling.  Matisse's Dance is there, and some Picassos--one of which I thought was amazing.  The real star of the show is in fact the building.
Exiting the Foundation one enters the Jardin d'Aclimatation since the admission to the gallery is really a combi ticket.  It's mostly a kids' amusement park although I found amusement in a French guy's attempt to pet a reluctant goose.
And since I was in the Bois de Boulonge--well I took a walk in the park, and very lovely it was.
For dinner was goat cheese on a baguette.  I'd gotten said goat cheese from the fancy cheese shop I visited a few days ago, and it was smooth and creamy, but not as good as the Rocamador I got from the grocery store.  I have more cheese shops to visit, and cows milk cheeses to try.  Stay tuned.
A demain

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day! Will Googlemap it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See if you can find pix of the building. I took a bunch myself.

    ReplyDelete