Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A D'ay at the D'Orsay


Bonjour, mes amies!
It rained over night, or as we French say il pluve.  And today proved to be cool and cloudy.  I carried my umbrella on my outing, but I did not need it.
I went out to my grocery store.  I knew what I was going to get, but then--you know--all that lovely food.  It's not that I bought something I didn't need; it's just that I had to wander around and look, and that takes time that I could use seeing less important sights.  For one thing the store was out of that lovely rose I liked--I having pulled the last bot from the shelves a couple of days ago.  I found some wine as cheap and nearly as good.
When I emerged from the shopping mall, I spotted that Crazy Guy.  When I came home I saw his sweat shirt folded over the barrier between the mall and Citadines, but it's gone now, and I have heard no Crazy Guy chanting.
This morning besides getting groceries, I needed more metro tix, and I also figured out my metro/RER route.  I went to the D'Orsay and arrived shortly after it opened.  Now armed with my museum pass I still had to wait about fifteen minutes to get in--which was nothing compared to the hour wait of those chumps (and I mean this word in the kindest, most sympathetic way) who needed to buy tickets.
Unlike the Louvre, the D'Orsay is more of a day's project than a career.  It is mainly Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century art in painting, sculpture, and interior design.  I began at the top with a marvelous exhibit of Impressionists, including such personal favorites as Berte Morisot and Camille Pissaro.  A lot of works by Alfred Sisely appeared as well.  For some reason he's not included with the great Impressionists, but really?--he should be.
The D'Orsay is smaller and more user friendly than the Louvre, and a few hours should suffice to see the entire collection.  I loved a good view of Manet's Dejuener d'l Herbe and Olympia as well as a lot of  Van Goghs, and wonderful works by symbolists such as my pals, Puvis de Chavanne, Odion Redon, and Gustave Moreau.  A lot of Monet and Renoir are on offer as well.
As it was still cool and overcast  I turned myself into Pil La Flaneure and began to stroll.  Paris is--par excellence--a stroller's city.  Just walk.  Walk some more.  I proceeded alone the Seine, but then turned inland when I encountered the Rue de Bac, which I correctly judged to be a great street for licking windows.  Eventually I fetched up at the lux department store, Le Bon Marche (ok it's only a good buy for those folks with LOTS of disposable income), but I went in and snooted around seeing a lot of things I didn't want.  I helped myself to some perfume--blackberry and musc?--by Guerlain, and I smelled rich and interesting for a while.
I also visited Le Grand Epicerie, which is the very high end grocery store associated with Le Bon Marche.  I am simply mesmerized by the foods on offer, but since I was down to my last 20E, I did not purchase anything although I marked some products as worth future consideration.
So this was a very pleasant, non-hurried, low key day.  I am over my jet lag and am enjoying the city mightily.
A demain
Update:  Crazy Guy is back--I suppose I should call me Ce type fou.  He's quieter this time, but the spooky thing is that he has a bot with him, and he and I drink the same kind of wine.  I still want him to go away.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an excellent day. Except for the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Twas, but CG is gone and has not come back. Ahh so much wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete