Friday, October 11, 2024

Learning to Make My Way Around My Neighborhood

 


Buon Giorno,

Crossing the streets is the most exciting part. The cars aren't really trying to kill you; it just seems that way. Most will respect a crosswalk even though they can come frighteningly close, and if they feel they can miss the pedestrian they will just proceed.  A few just blow through red lights. Palermo is certainly car-ridden. It kinda reminds me of home.

Yesterday's long trip was hard on me, so I promised myself an easy and short day. For one thing I was not adequately fed. For dinner, I had a bleah sandwich with some nice wine, and for breakfast I had tea and a granola bar--hardly touristing fuel.

I also discovered that after having brought a bottle of industrial strength sun screen expressly for the trip, I had forgotten to pack it. My first mission was to get sun screen. I do not go out without it and have not done for over thirty years. I went off in search of a pharmacy.  Signore Google told me that around the Central Station was a good place to try, and it's not far from me.

The station itself is a handsome building and the area is not at all sleazy. I did find a pharmacy. The shop assistant did not speak English, but she understood "sun screen." It was locked up in a cabinet. After one look at my pale Northern European skin, she picked out spf 50--the strongest they had. It is a small tube and grossly overpriced in my opinion, but the need is the need. I went home and smeared it on my exposed parts and was ready to venture out again.

After having spent so much on sun screen and having plans for a Big Trip to the grocery store, I decided to find an ATM. They are everywhere in Europe, and some are stand alone machines placed randomly. I do not like those. Google Map sometimes indicates directions like Northeast, and my phone has a compass, so I used it to point myself in the right direction. I found a small bank with a security guard--that was comforting--and went in and got my cash.

Then I turned around and walked back up the street because I was on my way to the grocery store.  Palermo is so interesting. On my stroll I passed not one, but two open air fish stands. I am not equipped in any way, shape, or form to deal with a whole, raw fish, but the offerings looked fresh, and nothing smelled bad.

Some streets are labeled. Most are not, so I had to guess. This is not efficient, but it does usually work out for me, and also the good folk of Lidl (They cosponsor a cycling team!) sign posted their store.  And it was a nice, big one--chaotically arranged, but welcome to Southern Italy, and I eventually did find everything I needed.

Like what, Pil?

Hummus! Good luck finding that in Northern or Central Italy. I also got bread, eggs, tuna. tea, sweetener, olive oil (I tasted the olive oil. I just pulled it off the shelf, but it's the good stuff--it made me cough.).tortellone, wine--and, of course, limoncello.  But then I had to carry my heavy bag back.

 Limocello? 

It's a lemon liquer made with lemons mascerated in hard alcohol, and then sweetened with sugar syrup. Italians usually take it as a digestive as I will this evening, so stay tuned for a taste test. You can find it in the United States, but not all brands are created equal.

I also had a nice apero of the Sicilian wine I got yesterday with some truffle flavored marcona almonds I got from Trader Joe's.

Dinner is some lovely tortalone with cheese and spinach, dressed with salt, pepper, garlic, and a lot of that good olive oil I got today.  The IGP (Indication Geografia Protectivo) goes perfectly with the pasta. It's not the top tier wine, and it was really cheap, but it's good!

Here goes--a limoncello tasting. I don't like drinking it straight actually, but I will for this test.  And this is very nice--a good, tart lemon flavor, and it's not too sweet. I don't care for the spirit burn, but next time I'll have it with ice green tea, and it will be perfect.

I think I'll be ready for some actual tourist action tomorrow.

Ciao for now

No comments:

Post a Comment