Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Decorative Objects and a LOT of them

 Bon jour, mes amies,

I actually wanted to go to the Louvre today, but there's a new system, which I will explain in case you mean to visit.  France, like other European Countries operates on line, and you can buy your tickets and even the museum pass on line.  I prefer the old fashioned way.  But the deal with the Carte Monument et Musees is that one gets just one visit to each site. Seriously?  I am incapable of doing the Louvre in one go.  Now there are folks that just want to see Venus de Milo and Mona, and they can get in and out.  But there's so much more!  The other thing is that while at most museums you can just show up, one must reserve a slot at the Louvre.  So my visit will be Friday at 1:30.  I'll probably be getting a second museum pass, so I can go again, and next time I'll know to reserve sooner.  I went downstairs, and the nice young woman at reception printed out my reservation form for me.

So here I am footsore and drinking some green tea (brought from home) to revive myself.  I slept more last night, and I do fine, but the truth is I'm not getting any younger, so I do get tired.  After a bit I'll have some apero and then dinner and the bike race.

I walked down to the Rue di Rivoli but instead of turning left, I went right towards the Louvre.  The Rue di Rivoli is one of the most famous streets in Europe, and the last stage of the Tour de France zooms down it to the Champs Elyses. Unfortunately some of the blocks are looking pretty sad.  My target museum does not open until 11, but I thought that would give me a shopping opportunity.  There's a mall called the Carousel du Louvre that I frequented on previous trips.  Well.  Some of the shops I expected were no longer there, and the replacements were of no use to me, but I went up stairs and strolled in the Tuilleries.

Then it was museum time, so I got in line at the Musee des Arts Decoratifs.  I had no reservation, so I had to wait a bit to get in but it wasn't bad.  The museum occupies part of the Louvre Palace and is chockful of beautiful and interesting items.  I liked the period rooms best, but there are displays of exquisite glassware and ceramic.  The Art Nouveau collection is not to be missed.  My taste for Late Medieval Art was also satisfied.  The diamond on the luxury cake is the jewelry gallery.  Oh la la!  The glitter and the gold.  Most of the pieces are so big and ornate that I would drown in them, but they are fun to look at.

Then I headed for home, but I took a different route back and happened to pass an ATM of my bank's foreign partner.  You will have no trouble finding an ATM in Paris.  They are abundant, but I only use my bank's foreign partner's because I'm already getting soaked by the exchange rate, and I don't need to pay another fee, which is generally five euros.

I'm having peanuts and almonds with my kir royale. Very nice.

A demain

No comments:

Post a Comment