Buon giorno,
I've decided I like Catania better than Palermo even though Palermo was flat, I'm always going up and down in Catania. Both cities share the same traffic issues and angry honking, but Catania has more pedestrianized areas.
Since last night was Saturday, I was awakened by noisy returning revelers, but I got back to sleep. I had a nice breakfast of Italian cheese and whole wheat crackers, plus my tea. The plan for today was simple. Since a lot of things are closed on Sunday, I proposed to take a big loop around the city.
It was cool when I set off, but that soon changed. I found Via Vittorio Emmanuele and strolled along, but I soon decided that a block over Via Giuseppe Garabaldi looked like more fun. This is a typical Catanian piazza.
I soon fetched up in the Piazza del Duomo.
But that was not my target. I wanted to walk down Via Etnea--Mount Etna Street, which provides views of the volcano as well as a lot of bougie shops. Maybe if you strain your eyes, you can see the volcano with it's crown of clouds.
Some of the way is pedestrianized. Along the way I passed by the ruins of the Roman Amphitheatre.
A while further along I found my next target Giardino e Villa Bellini. The Bellini in question is the famous composer, whose most famous work, as far as Sicilians are concerned, is the opera Norma, which, of course, is set in Sicily. He build a lovely villa, and the park is the grounds. Unfortunately the villa is not open to the public, but the park is and makes for a charming stroll on a warm day.
I also tried to get a photo of Mount Etna.
Well, you can just get a glimpse of the clouds that surround the craters. I could see the actual mountain.I had carefully calculated my route, so after I had walked around the garden, I found the street that would take me home. I had a very pleasant day out.
I came home to an aperitivo of almonds and limoncello. Some Italians drink limoncello straight as a digestive. I made some iced green tea to have mine. Dinner will be more linguine with some cacio e pepe sauce this time.
Ciao for Now
No comments:
Post a Comment