Friday, July 16, 2010

European Chocolate Face Off!

A proper good morning to you.
I realize that some of you think that I have been neglectful of Serious Cultural Research. Well, nothing of the sort. We—or rather I—acting as your representative will carefully taste and report on chocolate from Britain, France, and Belgium, but you are going to have to wait for it. First, the day’s activities.
It was a blustery morning but not actually raining. After doing my morning chores, I tubed out to Hyde Park Corner. I wandered across beautiful Hyde Park. It was peaceful, and the air was scented with flowers. The traffic noise never entirely went away but apart from that it was not like being in the heart of a great city.
I especially enjoyed walking around the Serpentine, a lake created by damming up one of little rivers that drained into the Thames. I can’t remember which one. The rest have been paved over.
I was fascinated by the waterfowl. A variety of ducks and some swans make the Serpentine their home at least during the summer. They appear perfectly habituated to both humans and dogs. I did not try to touch them, but one can walk right up. Papa Swan did hiss when a dog got too close to the cygnets, but that was all. They also are not aggressive like some ducks and pigeons, who equate humans with handouts.
So the walk was great and very refreshing. My target was in sight: Kensington Palace. I’d been there before but not for a long time, and I was so pleased by the improved displays and all at other sights I’d been to, that I was expecting the same.
Uh uh.
I do not want to be negative, and apparently some people are thrilled to pieces with what they’ve done, but I am not one of them. The state rooms are definitely worth seeing for the wall hangings and painted ceilings. The King’s Staircase boasts a famous fresco of an Italian Renaissance-looking crowd hanging over railings and moving about in a loggia. The place simply screams HISTORY. Why not work with that?
But oh no, they had to turn it into an “Enchanted Palace.” The lights are kept dim so one cannot see the paintings, etc. properly. Most of the objects associated by royalty have been replaced by artistic installations. Some of the rooms represent a princess, and there are cryptic sound effects and shadows cast on the ceilings. One is supposed to guess which princess is being portrayed. Since I knew the history I could guess, but otherwise I think it conveys exactly nothing. No mention of William and Mary, no mention of Sir Christopher Wren. Princess Margaret got a quick look in, but that was it. What a waste.
Thank you for reading my rant. Let’s go on to something more fun. [UPDATE: I see Rick Steves agrees with me about this tiresome exhibit. He said it was not worth the price of admission! The good news is the the palace is undergoing extensive renovations and might be better for the Olympics crowd in 2012]
I walked down to Kensington High Street. There are numerous opportunities to lick windows, including the British version of TJ Maxx called TK Maxx and Whole Foods. Whole Foods was fun and pretty much what you would expect. I walked up and down the high street and it turned blustery and rainy, but I had my stout shoes and umbrella.
I took the District Line to Earl’s Court and transferred to the Piccadilly Line and hoped off at Green Park and began walking up Old Bond Street.
It should be called Luxury Retail Street. This is window-licking territory supreme! Name a high end brand. and I can almost guarantee it has a big fancy store on either Old or New Bond Street. My mind was boggled, and most of it I would not want, but I did buy something—about which more later.
At the top of Bond Street I turned east on Oxford Street and fought the crowd until I got to Holborn and home.
With apologies to the Swiss and Dutch, the taste test comparison is confined in this instance to Britain, France, and Belgium. Which is best or rather which do I like best and why? We confine ourselves in this instance to premium chocs. When I was in Harrods a few days ago, I was not idly wandering the Food Hall. I was on a mission.
In this corner representing France is La Maison du Chocolate which I have tried in Paris. Oh la la! Over in this corner representing Belgium is Leonidas, whose chocs I have not yet tried. And over in this corner Charbonel et Walker by Appointment to Her Majesty and headquartered on Bond Street in a beautiful shop.
Now this cannot be a head to head taste of similar chocs. They are all of different sorts, but I have chosen types characteristic of each sort, and I will try to describe each.
Ok. Here we go. I have eaten, so hunger will not be a factor. This is desert. All are at room temperature. I will have one piece each, which I will try in alphabetical order of country. Between each I will cleanse my palate with water and a bite of cracker. Yes, I am serious. Why did you doubt me?
Belgium: I sniffed the chocolate praline. It smells like a chocolate, and yet I am not overwhelmed. Fragrance is important to me. Now for a bite. The choc has some kind of nutty filling. Good texture of the shell. Rich chocolaty taste as well from the shell well complemented from the filling. It’s tasty. The Belgians have special rules for their chocs holding them to a higher standing of ingredients than the rest of the EU, and yet considering what I paid for this and where I got it—Harrods!—I would expect something more sublime. This is not as good as I could get from Mary See (owned by Warren Buffet who obviously knows his candy.) at Del Amo.
Britain: A chocolate truffle smells darker and richer, but still not as enticing as I would hope. The bite is good. Very rich and a good texture. The shell is on the thick side, but that’s ok. This one is less sweet and has more of a pure cocoa flavor, which you may or may not like. The filling is very smooth, very rich. I’d like more of a melting sensation. But HMQ obviously knows her chocs.
Now France: Good scent in line with the other pieces, but not irresistibly fragrant. The bite was luscious. The shell was yielding and yet contributed a rich, chocolate taste that went well with the filling. Texture is buttery. This is more complex than the others and tastes richer somehow. I pick France as my winner. But obviously you will have to try for yourselves.
But Pil. You just had one piece. Surely there are left overs.
Well, yes. Waste not want not. But I am done for this evening.
Cherrio!

2 comments:

  1. What a disappointing re Kensington--why, when they have the real McCoy, must they resort to dumb Hollywoodish backdrops?

    However, the chocolates made up for Kensington's failure to please.

    Now to poke about on Old and New Bond Street, and see what Google Earth can show me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to go back to the Bonds I licked the windows only on one side of the street.

    ReplyDelete