Thursday, August 31, 2017

Dans Le Eurostar

Bonjour!
Ok, Pil, what up with the French?
Well, since I am in France now, it makes sense to me.
Howdja get there?
See the title of the post!  I took the Eurostar direct from London St. Pancras to Lyon.  I wanted very much to come here, and I like the Eurostar, but I dreaded the transfer with luggage on the Paris Metro. Imagine my delight to find that the Eurostar does come here without the pesky Paris stop.  The ultimate destination is Marseilles, but before that the train stops in Avignon.  My journey was a little over four hours.  These trains do not run that often, and mine left early, so I had to get up and go.
I had a quick trip to St. Pancras International--a very snazzy train station full of luxury shops.  But do not become distracted.  In order to get on the train one must go through security as at the airport and passport control.  They close access a half hour before the train leaves and are Very Strict.  Be warned and show up on time.
I had a window seat, and my seat mate was a very pleasant English woman.  There was a delay due to some traffic issue in the tunnel, but the rest of the trip was smooth.  I was bemused by a conversation among the family in the seat in front of me.  Mom (I think they are Canadian) was adamant that they have extra adaptors.  She'd set one out especially, but Pop did not pack it.  Mom would not let this go and went on and on.  Let me say something about adaptors.  I brought mine--two sets, because the UK and Continental Europe have different sorts of plugs.  In London at least they are widely available, which makes me think tourist and their gadgets just show up not knowing the deal.
Ahh. I'm sipping the rose I pulled off the supermarket shelf and am noshing on nuts.  I'm settled in at last, but it took some getting here.  Once I got off the train in Lyon things began to get murky.
I knew the name of the street I was looking for, and I knew the direction I needed to go, but I could not find the street or any indication of where to go.  I wandered and circled.  Finally I went back to the station hoping I could find some kind of tourist information desk.  All I could find was SNCF (Society Nationale de Chemin de Fer, i.e. railway) information, so seeing no alternative I got in line. I explained to the young woman at the desk what I needed.  Without my asking she looked up my accommodations on the internet and printed out a map!  I do not ever EVER want to hear about how the French are rude and unhelpful.  If you need to bad mouth French people, please do not do it in front of me.  This is not the first time, I have received great kindness.
Ok.  Armed with the map, I set out again, but it was not easy.  Citadines is rather tucked away, but I did get here clearly.  Then I had to set out for groceries.  I'd passed a zillion--on conservative estimate--grocery stores on my way here, but could I find them again?  Ha!  After much wandering I did find a grocery store very nearby, but it was one of the ones that close in the middle of the day. Fortunately I'd arrived just a few minutes before opening so I was able to get my stuff--including that nice rose that did not violate my five euro rule.  But this one is kind of a mini mart, so I'm going to have to hit up the supermarket in the giant shopping center, but also I am very close to something called Les Halles de Paul Bocuse, which has very serious food.  I'll visit tomorrow when I explore my new city.
A demain!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I look forward to your report. Lyon! French food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You cannot be looking forward to it more than I am. Raining at the moment. Nice!

    ReplyDelete